Recent events such as the City of Los Angeles data breach, affecting LAPD police officers and applicants, highlight the importance of taking precautions with personal information and knowing what to do if your information is compromised.
Here’s what you can do:
- Use strong and complex passwords, especially for sites that house personal information. Change your passwords frequently.
- Enroll in FraudScout,1 a fraud and credit monitoring service available to LAPFCU members with exclusive member discounts.
- Set up email or text message alerts on PATROL Online Banking or the LAPFCU app2 to help monitor activity and catch suspicious activity right away.
- Monitor your credit at annualcreditreport.com. If you have an LAPFCU loan, you can view your credit score for free in PATROL or on our app.
- Safeguard and properly dispose items containing personal data routinely.
Make sure your phone number and email address are always up-to-date on PATROL Online Banking or our app, so we can contact you if and when suspicious activity is detected.
For more information, or if you think you’re a victim of fraud, call us immediately at (877) 695-2732.