Phishing attacks are on the rise due to uncertainties and increased fears surrounding the Coronavirus pandemic. If you receive a suspicious email, text message, or phone call requesting confidential information, it’s likely a scam. Read more about COVID-19 scams on our blog or Security Center. Follow these easy steps to reduce the risk of falling victim to fraudulent requests.
- Be aware. Legitimate businesses do not make unsolicited calls asking for personal, sensitive information.
- Don’t give in to pressure. Oftentimes, fraudsters try to scare or pressure victims into providing personal information.
- Don’t answer phone calls from unknown numbers. Valid callers will leave a message.
- Don’t respond to text messages from unverified sources asking you to call your financial institution. Text messages from LAPFCU will never ask for confidential information. Be wary of hyperlinks.
- Stay calm. Scammers thrive on vulnerability. When in doubt, hang up. You can call the organization or business directly to verify the authenticity of a request.
- Review your statements regularly and contact us if you notice any unauthorized activity. To help monitor your accounts and catch any suspicious activity right away, you can set up alerts through the free Money Management tool in PATROL Online Banking or on our app.1
- Enroll in Fraudscout, a fraud and credit monitoring service.2 LAPFCU members get exclusive discounts.
To report any suspicious and unsolicited phone call, email or text message, call LAPFCU at (877) 695-2732.
1Standard data and text message usage rates may apply. Consult your phone service carrier for more details. 2FraudScout is not insured by the NCUA or any other government agency, is not Credit Union guaranteed, is not a deposit, and is not a condition to any banking service or activity. FraudScout is a service provided by CyberScout™. CyberScout may modify or improve any part of the service at any time and without prior notice. This service is not a credit counseling service and does not promise to help you obtain a loan or improve your credit record, history or rating. Restrictions apply. For additional information, visit myidmanager.com/lapfcu. 0420-41