California has approved a stimulus bill called the Middle-Class Tax Refund, a one-time payment to provide relief to Californians in the wake of the inflation surge. If you are eligible, you will automatically receive a payment. Payments are expected to be issued between October 2022 and January 2023.
LAPFCU is not able to verify whether you’re eligible for a stimulus check or the status of your payment. For eligibility information, please visit the State of California Franchise Tax Board website or use the Get My Payment Tool.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW MUCH IS THE PAYMENT?
Payment amounts are as follows:
- $200 – $700 for individuals
- $400 – $1,050 for married couples filing taxes jointly
AM I ELIGIBLE TO RECEIVE A PAYMENT?
You are eligible if you:
- Filed your 2020 taxes by October 15, 2021
- Were not claimed as a dependent in the 2020 tax year
- Were a California resident for more than half of the 2020 tax year
- Are a California resident when the payment is issued
You are not eligible if your adjusted gross income is more than:
- $500,000 if married and filing a joint return or if filing as head of household or qualifying widower
- $250,000 for those filing with other statuses (e.g., single filers and married people filing separate returns)
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE MINIMUM AND MAXIMUM PAYMENTS?
Middle-Class Tax Refund payments vary based on income and tax-filing status.
To qualify for the maximum payout:
- $350: Individuals who earn less than $75,000 per year
- $700: Couples who file jointly and earn less than $150,000 per year
- $350: Additional payout for the above families who have at least one dependent
To qualify for the minimum payout:
- $200: Individuals who earn up to $250,000 per year
- $400: Couples who file jointly and earn less than $500,000 per year
- $200: Additional payout for the above families who have at least one dependent
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT IF I’LL RECEIVE A PAYMENT?
Starting Friday, October 7, you can use the Get My Payment Tool on the State of California Franchise Tax Board website to see your payment and status information.
HOW IS THE FRANCHISE TAX BOARD SENDING THE PAYMENT?
California’s Franchise Tax Board will issue Middle-Class Tax Refund stimulus payments via direct deposits and debit cards.
Direct deposit payments will be made to eligible taxpayers who e-filed their 2020 CA tax return and received their CA tax refund by direct deposit.
Debit cards will be mailed to the remaining eligible taxpayers in an envelope prominently displaying the following wording: “Not a bill or advertisement. Important information about your Middle-Class Tax Refund.”
WHEN MIGHT I RECIEVE A PAYMENT?
If you received previous Golden State Stimulus payments by direct deposit, you should receive your Middle-Class Tax Refund by direct deposit between October 7 and October 25.
If you filed your 2020 California tax return electronically and got a refund by direct deposit, you should receive a direct deposit between October 28 and November 14.
Debit cards will be used to distribute the remaining payments. If you received the Golden State Stimulus by debit card, you should receive a debit card for the Middle-Class Tax Refund between October 25 and December 10. All other debit card payments will be sent by January 15, 2023.
For the latest updates on when you can expect your payment, visit the Middle-Class Tax Refund website.