Los Angeles Police Federal Credit Union – Van Nuys, CA 91406
Reporting to the VP of Finance, the Controller ensures the ongoing development/maintenance of an efficient and effective financial reporting and accounting control environment throughout the organization. The position ensures that the Credit Union is in continuous compliance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and regulatory agency reporting requirements.
The Controller is responsible for all operational aspects of accounting and financial reporting including financial planning & analysis and record keeping. The role also oversees the asset liability modeling and cash management functions such as ACH, wires and item processing. In addition, the Controller is responsible for the corporate budgeting processes that supports corporate level strategic planning and execution.
Wage Classification: Exempt
- Responsible for maintaining the Credit Union’s financial analysis and periodic financial reporting functions. Financial analysis includes but is not limited to; asset liability modeling, liquidity modeling, capital and earnings at risk analysis, and business unit profitability analysis. The reporting functions include but are not limited to; Board reporting, regulatory reporting and management reporting.
- Responsible for the operational aspects of the corporate budgeting process and ongoing financial forecasting to include planning, monitoring, analysis, and reporting for all items related to or impacting capital expenditures, revenues and expenses.
- Ensure proper review and maintenance of all financial systems and controls, which include financial models and model assumptions, internal spreadsheets as well as accounting entries.
- Advise on improvements to financial modeling, analytical systems, and forecasting platforms.
- Partner with various functional and business stakeholders to improve the efficiency of the financial planning and analysis (FP&A) process throughout the organization.
- Assesses existing and proposed processes, activities, and financial controls throughout the organization to ensure that all such activities are conducted in a manner that ensures the safeguarding of the Credit Union’s assets.
- Act as Project Manager for both Corporate and Departmental projects as needed. Disseminates project information and ensures operational and regulatory reporting needs are properly captured within the project plan.
- Assist in developing strategies to grow revenue, increase profitability, increase assets and all other aspects of balance sheet performance.
- Responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of direct reports.
- Supervise and manage in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- This position directly oversees management of department.
Education & Experience
- Minimum 8 years of experience in finance or accounting with 5+ years of similar or related demonstrated managerial experience in a financial institution.
- Bachelor’s degree in finance, or accounting required; CPA preferred.
- Excellent working knowledge and experience with GAAP.
- Demonstrated excellent verbal/written communication skills.
- Demonstrated strong organizational and leadership skills.
- Must be knowledgeable with rules and regulations governing financial institutions, debt instruments, investments, and lending.
- Must be highly experienced with Asset Liability Modeling and cash flow analysis.
- Must be familiar with cash management, collateral management, liquidity management and capital analysis.
- Demonstrated strong analytical skills and business and financial acumen, ability to think strategically and conceptually.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
- If driving for company business, must have a valid California driver’s license and proof of current insurance coverage.
Los Angeles Police Federal Credit Union is an “employer of choice.” Our highly engaged, talented, and dedicated team of associates are a huge factor in creating a fun and rewarding work culture, which lead to “Best Places to Work” awards every year since 2008. These honors have been local, regional, statewide, and national. We offer an exceptional total compensation package, unmatched by our competitors. Our average employee tenure is 10+ years.
Since 1936, our focus at LAPFCU has been serving the financial needs of the Los Angeles law enforcement community, their families and select law enforcement-related groups.
LAPFCU is a non-profit corporation owned by its members (shareholders) who elect a Board of Directors from our membership to establish policies, and who appoint a president to implement such policies. As a member-owned financial institution, LAPFCU has no stockholders or outside owners to answer to; we’re dedicated only to serving our members and providing them with superior financial services and products.
To enhance the quality of life for the Los Angeles law enforcement community and their families by serving as a trusted partner, providing rewarding financial solutions through exceptional service.
To learn more about Los Angeles Police Federal Credit Union, please visit www.lapfcu.org.
Nothing in this job advertisement restricts the right of LAPFCU to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this position at any time.
LAPFCU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. LAPFCU complies with the City of Los Angeles’ “Ban-the-Box” ordinance (aka The Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring).